Wikipedia is one of the under-rated channels for Digital Marketing in Asia. This web-based, ‘quick’ encyclopedia operates on a model of free and openly editable content. The site ranks 5th globally, in terms of popularity. Its presence in Asia is nothing short of remarkable. According to Alexa.com – Japan, India and China have the highest percentage of visitors and there are 1,652,174 sites linking to Wikipedia.org. Baidu sits at the top of this list. It has the 2nd largest search engine in the world and holds a 76.05% market share in China’s search engine market.
Benefits that your company can reap from Wiki:
- Wikipedia is a multi-lingual platform. Created in 2001, it has grown into one of the largest reference websites with active contributors working on more than 48,000,000 articles in 302 languages. It is a great place to establish an online presence. People are more likely to read what is on Wikipedia before checking out your company’s website.
- The articles in Wiki are continually edited and improved. This results in an upward trend of quality and clarity, content-wise. Hence, creating a wiki page aids in improving the reputation and adds credibility to your company over time.
- Wikipedia holds a prime space on Google’s search results page. The dominance in Google creates a lot of attention which in turn, increases your company’s traffic and an automatic SEO (Search Engine Optimization) boost. Wiki articles are all linked or cross-referenced – the greater the number of links, the higher the rankings on Google.
- There is a better probability of converting visitors from your Wikipedia page into customers, thus increasing your company’s sales. Just ensure that your page is fully aligned with its editorial guidelines.
According to Alexa.com – Japan, India and China have the highest percentage of visitors and there are 1,652,174 sites linking to Wikipedia.org. Baidu sits at the top of this list. It has the 2nd largest search engine in the world and holds a 76.05% market share in China’s search engine market.
Having said that, your founder or company has to pass the notability test where Wikipedia’s editors decide if content is worthy of inclusion on their site. Other factors that will increase the notability of your company include:
- Having an industry-changing technology that your founder or company invented or developed.
- There is no existing information, relating to the technology or topic in Wikipedia.
If you’re not already in the know, Wikipedia’s Asian Month runs annually every November. This serves as a great platform for companies to launch contents relating to Asia.
Generate the right type of and amount of exposure for your business entry into Asia. Interested to know more about it? Contact us to help you strategise and manage your content.
Freelance writer who (tries to) dabble with digital marketing and practises yoga in her free time.